MaksDaddy Herald

The Prestigeous and critically acclaimed News Bulletin website that provides you with up to the minute news, views and goss as it happens, only later. circa since 1905

Thursday, January 10, 2008

Quite and evening

6pm Thursday January 2008 and it was time to finish up for the day and I would've have been out the door if not for the fact I was enjoying make my final sale account for the day and closed the deal 6 minutes following shut down my terminal grab my belongings and headed out the door. On exciting the office entrance I noticed parked outside were two former colleagues so I went over to say hi. As I knelt down at the car window it wan't much time allowed to exchange welcomes before I heard crashing noises coming down Federal Street (a single tight one way street) as a townace truck came hurdling down and past us. I stood up to see that at that speed he was doing some seriously dangerous driving and at the pace he was going even at my best ability in a sports car couldn't make a 90 degree turn and he didn't as I heard the loud crash as he smashed the truck into another car and spun the truck around. He'd his a small silver/grey car where as I ran towards the scene I saw that the driver was female as visible unsure of what had just happened. My attention was the directed to the driver of the truck where I had expected him to come and check on the driver of the car he'd just smashed recklessly into but he put his foot on the gas and drove off. The thing is that after the crash his truck had spun so he was covering both lanes and he thought he could get away by driving into St. Patricks square where I had a small grin come to my face as I knew I had him. Where he'd gone is a no-way out and dead end, to which he soon realised, and as I ran across the road i was yelling at bystanders doing nothing to ensure he doesn't come back that way as it was a deadend. When I found the truck it had been parked and I caught the driver trying to scale a tall concrete wall. He was somewhat shorter than I and given an extra boost may have got over in time if I hadn't intervened.
When he came down I advised him to stay put, and then short questioned him if he had any idea of what he'd done and the situation he now faced. He only shouted profanity and answered his cell phone which by this time I was joined by the female drivers partner and we kept an eye on him as I phoned my friend Simon for a VIR on the vehicle only after being advised another witnessed was on the phone to the police.
During the phone call the driver lets call him the Perp got back into the truck where he was pulling things out like a cheque book or other items. I told the partner (who i'll call John for security purposes) to get perp's keys or get him out of the car but as I said it the perp had started up the truck and put it in gear. John and I quickly sprung into action and pulled him out of the truck while in reverse pulling clear of the truck and ducking away from the open door as the truck kept reversing about 5 meteres before backing into a large tree. We wrestled him to the ground and pinned him where once secured I ran to the truck to kill the engine and secure it before returning to assist john who had things well in control.
At this time we had nothing more to do than for John to apply his weight on perp while I covered him and hailed the police who arrived a few minutes later.
They took perp into custody and we spent the next 10-15 minutes giving statements and I stayed around to make sure that both john and his partner were ok offering transportation or something to relax then as Johns partner had gone thru quite an unexpected ordeal. All's well that ends well, apart from perp's employer (truck owner) and the Nissan Pulsar but they are only items and no lives were lost although My suit did suffer some injuries in the fight but easily replaceable. Just wish it wasn't my new suit but both John and partner are ok which is more than we can ask for. Thinking back now, it was lucky that perp's truck was pointed in the direction of what he most likely saw as an escape route thru st. patricks square rather than the alternative where he could've escape down the main road with high potential to cause further accidents or one that could have had an unhappy ending. Fortunate enough for us he took the drove into the dead end and we could apprehend him before any life became at risk.

1 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home