MaksDaddy Herald

The Prestigeous and critically acclaimed News Bulletin website that provides you with up to the minute news, views and goss as it happens, only later. circa since 1905

Monday, August 18, 2008

So How's My Golf?

I took in my 5th round for the year treating it much like a practise round as the conditions were as to be expected after all the rain we've been having making it like a muddy swamp, so wasnt going out expecting to shoot a solid round.

Knowing well ahead that the course would be in a really bad state I thought I'd take a break from my normal round and try a few different things, but basically to practise my short game as that is the first thing to go when you dont get the opportunity to regularly get out and play. So set about figuring a few little strategies that I could recall for future rounds and put that use to work.

Happy to say that my 'Big Dog' (the Driver 1 wood) which I named Bethel for reasons unknown to me has been performing like a true gem as of late with long straight drives straight down my chosen line. Stranger yet is that its the one club I never practise, even at the driving practise range, I'll very rarely take it out as its not the most important club in the bag. My main problem is that once I'm within the range of 60 meters from the green my short game is a complete disaster.
As any golfer will know, the score is made on the green and seeing as though my approach shots from within that 60m seems to always go awry there leaves a huge development area for me to work on. So that's the reason I hit the course for the morning hoping to work on it, which I did and learnt a few things along the way. If your regularly playing you teach yourself a feel for distance and accuracy however if you play as in-frequently as I have as of late then its bit of a tricky task. Playing out of mud also increases the level of difficulty where you have to often select a different club than normal and possibly try a few new shots that you normally wouldn't consider when the course is dry, but thats the fun about golf that there are always new ways to attach the green each time you play a particular hole.

One thing I was happy about (somewhat) is the 7th hole at Chamby which is a par4 and was playing about 245-255meters that day. I cranked my driver and hit the green in one and followed to 3 putt out for par missing an easy birdy opportunity. Thats a quick example of my short game as of now, non-existant.

Reason for playing a course that was in a terrible condition was just to get out and clear my head and forget about the stresses of work. In doing so I find it a great personal release to get the mind engineered and focussed which when I return to work I'm rip roaring ready to go. I've only noticed that this year, on months that I find i'm not as sharp, not as self-motivated are in the times that I've not had a round of golf. So if I can find a doctor that can prescribe me a round of golf to curse my work ailments I'll let any other golfer know whom to see.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home