MaksDaddy Herald

The Prestigeous and critically acclaimed News Bulletin website that provides you with up to the minute news, views and goss as it happens, only later. circa since 1905

Tuesday, March 25, 2008

The Auckland Harbour Bridge Bungy


Friday, March 22nd 2008 where the day prior I had booked in for the Auckland Bridge Bungy Jump but before we get to that point lets just quickly fill in the morning.

Awoke at 9am sharp to my cell phone ringing as Simon on the other end saying we should go to the driving range to try his new driver, the Orlimar 460cc, so up I got and prepared myself for a long day. I arrived at Te Irangi driving range only to find it closed for Easter so we met at Botany Downs and called JK Golf out at Auckland Airport, they were open so we packed up and drove on out. Probably a bad idea for me to swing a club at this point as my left wrist hadn't fully recovered and caused some issues and later that day got worse but that's a boring story.
About midday after hitting some balls down range I was still pleased that my short to mid range swing hadn't been lost entirely but my driver, while I could still get it down to some good distances I was in fact pulling the ball in a rather severe way that's off course which I will have to correct when I'm back to full fitness.

Midday: Left to collect Makayla from Leighann at her friends house in Dannemora before rushing home to meet Shannon who was coming around to catch up and also to see me jump off a bridge. While we killed time at home with family coming around I managed to get to see the dvd Shannon had put together of her travels. Amazing to see all the sights of europe (one day Mike one day) and all the exciting things to see and do. Just after 2pm we jumped in the car and drove on down to the bridge where I got into my harness and people going 'are you nervous' when for me after jumping off the Sky Town less than a week ago I was surprisly calm and just wanted to get up there and do it. Shannon joined me in the walk up to the pod which is located underneathe the highest point of the bridge. I was the second to go and rather excited up until the point your toes are hanging over the edge and the familiar countdown of 3..2..1.. but this time I knew to tell myself to jump on 3 so I would jump on time. "One!!" ..... "Whoo Hooooooo!!!" I yelled as I lept off the ledge heading towards the water from 47 meter's but fell short of the water ( I had asked to be dunked but guess they miss calculated) before bouncing back up towards the underside of the bridge. I counted the recall bounces, one..two..three.. ok I can pull my release cord now and flip myself back upright and apon doing so was able to get my bearings once again. While upside down I could only tell up or down but had no idea in what direction i was looking round me.
I was hauled back up into the pod with a casual smile on my face...
After the last person jumped we walked back down the bridge where at the end I was greeted my the family who'd come to watch but the only thing i truly saw was makayla happy to see me trying to get to me as she tried pushing her face through the gated fence. Once we opened the door she reached her arms up glad to have me back.
I didn't opt to purchase the video as would much prefer the dvd from the Nevis bungy I hope to do in Queenstown as its 137meters, but I took the photos which are posted here.

The reason for doing the jump? simply to break up the boring routine I've done over the past several years and try to feel the fear and live a little.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home