MaksDaddy Herald

The Prestigeous and critically acclaimed News Bulletin website that provides you with up to the minute news, views and goss as it happens, only later. circa since 1905

Thursday, March 06, 2008

Fiji Vacation - First morning at Manta Ray

I realised that after my last blog I'd skipped a day so....

It was a refreshing sound to be woken in the morning to the sound of drums so all know its breakfast time and at that point as I slowly slipped under and out from my mosquitoe netting I realised that this is truly island living and was actually Now on holiday, no need for watches here, you simply listen out to the sound of drums and pray that you don't sleep through it while laying back on the beach or rocking in a hammock.

Following breakfast i decided to go for a snorkle around the coral reef again as I did the afternoon on arriving at the resort. And saw a sea-snake slumbering on the ocean floor. This is only about 5-7 meter from the actual shore line. It was about as long as I'm tall, big one, and as I swam closer following its body I came to the head resting on its on on top of a coral or rock.

Fiji Time is so intensly relaxing where folling the swim I then boarded a boat to go visit a small fijian village a few islands up from where we were staying.
On arriving we met Va' our guide and we saw their living conditions, the school where the kids sang us a song, and then we visited the kindergarten. Nothing quite like what my daughter goes too. This is one small room, no airconditioning or ceiling fan. As we approaced the door we heard the pounding of little feet as we were greeted at the door with small voices yelling BULA !!!
I saw one little girl in the group probably around the same age as my wee girl and just missed her so much while they were singing us songs in fijian and also head, shoulders knee's and toes (are you singing it?)
Then we went to the church where I donated a good amount after seeing their living conditions and only hope it can help.
Following that we visited the ladies whom were sitting out in wait for us with jewllery and other items to purchase, so I got a necklace and a gift for my Daughter.
The boat ride too and from the village was great as the nice breeze just helped keep us cool until we arrived back at Manta Ray.
Bang Bang Bang rolled the noise of the drums, "Lunch Time" so up the hill we go to the Main Bure'.
The afternoon was spent lying in a hammock doing nothing at all and would occaisionally break it up with a cool refreshing dip in the ocean then back to the hard life of laying in a hammock.
Bang Bang Bang, "Happy Hour" and time for more Kava... Happy Hour rolled out into dinner and that rolled on to further drinking and then further drinking games for fun before at midnight we headed down to the beach for another bon-fire.
That ended the day.

The following morning after struggling with my mostquito netting I managed to release myself to trudgeg up the hill for breakfast. I was leaving for Beachcomber that afternoon so I wanted to make the most of it while I could, so spent 45 mins floating in and around the coral reef and playing the guitar on the beach (in the shade). after Lunch I packed up my bag and then lay out on the hammock until it was time to leave and a farewell song was played prior to us boarding the transfer boat.
It was around a 2 hour boat ride from Manta Ray to Beachcomber and I sat up the top with some friends where we just baked in the sun under a nice breeze as the boat motored us along on our way while we took a nap.
Arriving at beach comber the staff were there singing and clapping guitars out as we were welcomed and checked into our dorm beds. The rest of the afternoon was spent at or near the bar. Beachcomber is a tiny little island where you can walk around it in about 12 mins, if there was a side walk it would be closer to 7 minutes.
Due to Fiji time we loose total track of time, I haven't worn a watch since my 2nd day out here and found out that we got to bed around 2am and I thought it was just before midnight.

The first night at beachcomber I found much cooler as there was a nice soft breeze that kept me somewhat cool bearing in mind my sunburn keeps me more than warm at night. The following day I hired a beach umbrella and simply just lay on the beach trying to tan myself to make my sister happy (strict instructions).
I'm still far to white that I guess I just reflect it and then go red even though I pile on the suntan lotion constantly.
I was having a nice nap laying on the beach and the only thing apart from lunch that disturbed me was during my afternoon siesta dreaming away I'd failed to notice the incoming tide and I tell ya that was a big shock when a wave suddenly splashed over top. So I moved further up the beach towards the bar and went back to sleep. 15 mins later Whoosh, splash, I got knocked out again. So I grabbed everything, as did everyone else at that stage and we moved right up to the bar knowing fare and well it wouldn't reach us here, and it didn't.

The most enjoyable part about this is that 'Fiji Time' is just so relaxing, I order a beer at 10am in the morning and sit in the ocean sipping away with no care's no worry about, well at least for another 30hours when I arrive back in NZ. But I can't wait cos while I'd very much like to stay a lot longer I do so miss my daughter and can't wait to see her again.

Hugs and kisses Maks, Daddy's coming home

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home